Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I Asked For Wonder

"It is not said: Ye shall be full of awe for I am holy, but: "Ye shall be holy, for I the Lord your God am holy" (Leviticus 19:2)."

Wow. Do you see it?
How great, how great is our God.

"We live by the conviction that acts of goodness reflect the hidden light of His holiness. His light is above our minds but not beyond our will. It is within our power to mirror His unending love in deeds of kindness, like brooks that hold the sky."

Spiritual Anthology of Abraham Joshua Heschel

To know that a sinner and commoner like me can be as Holy, Holy, Holy as He is, is beyond my comprehension definitely. But, it is not beyond my will. And I shall will for it with all my heart, mind and soul until the day I finally get to meet my Creator.

Pieces falling from me
You can have them for free
Never felt so complete
Pieces falling from me

I asked God for His wonder.

He answered.

We stayed in the Palm Garden Lodge which has, in my opinion, one of the friendliest people in Cambodia! It's a guesthouse so it doesn't have the formality and hostility of a big hotel, you get to meet travelers from all over the world who you can easily talk to. The people of the guesthouse are bunch of good people who will always greet, talk and listen to you even with their limited English vocabulary. Plus, it's cheap! - rooms for $7usd onwards. The place is small, quiet and clean; provides free flow of coffee and tea all day long plus free breakfast daily. I felt as if I died and went to heaven!

The small cafe I spent my mornings reading with coffee. Mornings start early because the sun is up pretty early compared to Malaysian time. By 6am, the whole place is bright. In Malaysia we gotta wait til' 7 because according to Ben we follow West Malaysia's time zone.

The place is surrounded with so much green. I'm missing my mornings there already.

Er. Yeah. I took these pictures off some traveling site. Heee.....

We visited many places in Cambodia; but the best, the best has to be the Angkor Archaeological Park. The place is just so incredibly surreal, totally unbelievable. Didn't have my own camera because the brother dropped it into the South China Sea, but hope you enjoy these pictures taken from the internet! You have to see these places yourself, the pictures aren't doing them justice. (AirAsia giving away free tickets 11th Nov! Go check it out!)

This is Bayon. One of the (many) temples in the park, also one of my favorites. Every prasat (tower) has four faces, each carved on four sides of the tower. There are 54 prasat in the temple which totals to 216 faces.


A closer look. It's quite difficult to imagine these are all carved out of stones by hands at a time of incredibly limited technology. Standing in the midst of these 216 faces, I felt consumed by the place.


This is one of the 12 steps up to the 3rd level in the Angkor Wat temple. Back in time, the 3rd level is only accessible by Kings and High Priests. These stairs are STEEP, seriously. The steps are high and really tiny! One slip and its 65metres down. I really wonder how the King climb up these things.

This is one of the gates (south) entering into Angkor Thom which was the capital city to the Khmer empire.

Now, this is really weird! This temple is called Ta Prohm. It had it glory days where it was the treasuries to store treasures given to temples in the surrounding villages. Now the whole temple is slowly being consumed by trees with its structure being held together by the tree roots.

Weird eh? There is not only two of these but MANY.
It is as if the whole temple is being eaten up by the tree roots.


Angkor Wat is the biggest religious monument in the world; while God's temple in Jerusalem has been destroyed twice and is now no more. I asked God why? And I learn that we don't need it anymore because we have Jesus. The veil has been torn from top to bottom when Jesus died on the cross so we can have immediate access to God, to His holy presence. Now, the Holy Spirit dwells in each of us. Indeed, how bless are we.

Above all, I felt such a strong need for God in Cambodia. Millions of tourists visit the country every year but most of the nation's people are living on less than $1 per day. Children as young as 6 or 7 will be selling postcards or souvenirs at tourist sites wearing no shoes or slippers. Many don't have opportunities to formal education, even if they do, they cram classrooms filled with rubbish and limited number of desks. People there live simple lives with little or no education but remain such genial, good people (well, at least all those I've met are). They live holding hopes for a better future; and I pray that our Lord God be their hopes and Jesus to be their future. Hopefully and prayerfully, my next trip to Cambodia could be on mission trip.


A 'Petrol Station'. $1 for 1 litre of gasoline.


Throughout this trip, I'm constantly reminded that my life is not mine but God's. That I'm living on His time; I'm on God's timing. Time that is too precious to even let one minute slip away being idle, to stray from His will.

Living is not a private affair of the individual.
Living is what man does with God's time,
what man does with God's world.

Again and again, I'm humbled by His revelation. I learn that I really am not as strong as I think I am, but He is strong. I am not as smart as I think I am, but He is ever wise and intelligent. I am not as good as I think I am, but He is always good and only good. And I'm called to be like Him; one day, all my weaknesses will be made into strengths by His power.

I just need to will it.

I'm learning to be willing. To put up my sail even when His breathe is not blowing in the direction I want to go. My Father always knows best. So I'm gonna let Him steer me into uncertainty, for when Christ is in the vessel, I can smile at the storm =D

No comments: