Sunday, May 30, 2010

Back!


Don't say a word, just come over and lie here with me
'Cause I'm just about to set fire, to everything I see
I want you so bad I'll go back on the things I believe
There I just said it, I'm afraid you'll forget about me.

Edge of desire by John Mayer

Being back feels different.

It felt as if I came back from another planet because things here are so different from how things are in Nebraska. The people are different, the attitude is different, the food is different; being in a city so different from small (but special) town Lincoln. Life runs on a different schedule.

But time with family and friends is amazing as always. With them is the only time I feel things haven't change, partially because I've only left for 4 months.

In Malaysia,
I can speak Malaysian again.
I'm reading The Star again.
And I'm driving Betty again.

And Alexis is right; back here in Malaysia, I'm more in touch with the American culture than I was when I was in America. Here, I hear about American Idol on the radio so often. There, I didn't even know American Idol started. I hear about the Hollywood celebrities on radio; there, I hear only the muffled sounds of the radio playing Lady Gaga (rarr rarr gaa gaa) from the bathroom across my dorm room.

I guess we are only getting the generalized American culture here. The one about the stars and celebrities and "liberal" ideas - drinking, partying, pre-marriage cohabitation. The other ideas are harder to catch on - courtesy, innovation, hard work.

While driving home the other day, I thought so much about the people here. And of GOD's presence here. No matter how much I love being in the United States, my heart is still here with my fellow Malaysians. Malaysians are also GOD's people and Malaysia is still GOD's nation. And I dream of our nation following Jesus.

Of course, it's only a dream.
Without prayers and actions in His power, dreams will remain what they are.

But this vision from GOD also told me to look beyond my petty problems.
I have been dwelling in my problems for far too long.
I have been thinking about me for far too long.

It is about others.

It is about GOD's people.

1 comment:

shane. said...

HELOOOOU!!! you're baaack!! :D hehehe
Hope to catch up with u ONE day aft my finals on the 15th. hehe On?! :)) btw! how long will u be baack!?


miss you friiiend! :D