Monday, December 31, 2012

Making a Big Deal About New Year's Day

Is New Year's Eve and New Year's Day a big deal to you? At December 31st of every year (or perhaps approaching that day), do you think back about what happened in the past year and how has it change the person that you are?

My friends asked if I am doing anything on New Year's Eve and I thought to myself, is it a big deal to be physically out and about with friends and family to make 2012 or 2013 a worthy year to celebrate for? Honestly, I don't know.

When I was younger, New Year's Eve usually meant having dinner and watching the fireworks on television with my family and close relatives. The fireworks would be one displayed by the Petronas Twin Towers a.k.a. the government with taxpayers money. All 8-10 of us would gather around a television (not a flat screen one) no larger than 26 inches, timing the duration of the fireworks. For us, the duration of fireworks display from the government indicated how much money the government has to burn.

Shorter ones = We have to tighten our belts next year.
Longer ones = Cheers! We have a good year ahead!

(Not that any of my family members or relatives work for the government, actually)

This could be coming from the melancholy of Anna Nalick playing in the background; but, don't we all associate the fate of something in this world with our own fates? We read into the bible verses with certainty that we are reading our own fates; we watch movies relating ourselves to the misunderstood protagonist. We root for a team or for the underdog because we relate to them; because, in some ways, the fate of the football team or underdog is correlated with what is going to happen in our reality. They become our symbols of hope for a more beautiful day.

So, how does this relate with going out on New Year's Eve or New Year's Day? I don't know. Honestly, I have not documented my thoughts for a long time (including for papers/assignments - because I graduated) so the words are coming out like word vomit.

Well, if I have to take a stab at it, I would say - Being in the New Year's crowd, listening to friends/strangers disappointments, achievements, cherished moments, frustration of 2012 and anticipations, wishes, resolutions of 2013, simply listening and celebrating with them, we walk a short path of that memory with them and we see meaning in their stories - meaning we project onto our own lives.

For me, 2013 is one where I resolute to document my thoughts and memories. And where I start being more honest with my self and my relationships. One post at a time.

Seriously, if you want that feeling of melancholy, please listen to the Anna Nalick station on Pandora. 

Blessed New Year. 

No comments: